Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Movie Poster


I cropped the photo down from a wide angle view. I selected the man and desaturated the rest of the scene using the channel mixer and curves as well - then added a Gaussian blur to soften between the b&w and color. I went back to the background and added the film grain filter. I made the text on a separate page. I changed the text color, added drop shadow, bevel, and color overlay. Then I dragged the selections over to the photo and lowered the opacity slightly just to see a hint of the background through the text boxes.
So, there is a story to accompany this photo. My husband and I were taking random photos down by St Anthony Main and I noticed this homeless man and framed him in the distance. I thought that was that, but he eventually made his way toward us and started asking questions about what we were taking pictures of and so forth. He offered to play us a tune on his harmonica. Well of course we gave him a couple bucks - knowing - that was his objective. But he was a very nice man, he briefly shared his life's hardships and how he ended up where he did per my husband asking. Turns out her was on the cover of the Minnesota Daily the day before in a feature article about the MTC and its passengers. Was a pretty neat encounter.

I had difficulty with this project. I started two other themed posters before I made this one. I had my heart set on a specific horror shot that I wanted to take - but I didn't have a model when I had the opportunity to finally take the photo! I tried to take a photo of a bloody pitchfork up at the cabin, forgot the memory card to my Nikon and had to take the pic with my point n shoot - epic fail! :-( I had even made the text page and everything for that darn idea. Bummer...but I WILL get that shot at some time in the future!!

The other poster idea I had is using my expressive son as my model with gummy worms. This I will still do as well. I bought a huge bag of gummies and they must be used...and eaten...haha! It was going to be based on How to Eat Fried Worms - but my version, of course. ;-)
I so wish I knew more about layouts and clippings and, and, and... I am still a rookie photographer. The only things I kind of know in Photoshop are basic photo adjustments. I have yet to actually experiment using my own set coloring options. I need to become a better photographer first off. It's only been a year....patience Dani, patience...
Original Image

9/30 Updated poster image with suggested changes: Added a black border around the edges and changed the font of the text: Homeless in Minneapolis. I did not select around the subject. The original image was taken in jpeg then opened in PS and cropped. Too much information was lost in this process making the image too pixilated.

No comments:

Post a Comment